|Overlook at Devils Knob loop.|
|Looking at ski runs is more comfortable in summer.|
|Blue Ridge Retreat|
While the golf writers tackled Stoney Ridge, the 27-holes of Reese Jones' valley courses, and Devils Knob, the soaring track designed by Ellis and Don Maples, several of us chose to explore other attractions to be found in Nelson County.
|King George II granted this land to James Dickie.|
Apples older than AmericaThe Dickie orchard ranged across the valley slopes below Little de Priest Mountain before there was an America. The original James Dickie, a sea captain, received land grants from King George in 1752, 1756 and 1780; the sheepskin and parchment deeds and the land have been in the same family every since.
Dickie Brothers Orchard grows 20 different apple varieties along with peaches, pears, nectarines, plums, blackberries, sweet potatoes, pumpkins and squash on 100 acres. One-third of the apple crop, including Gala, HoneyCrisp and McIntosh, all ripen in August. In a county of 15,000 residents one-half million bushels of apples are grown each year; 17,000 bushels from the Dickie Orchard.
|Turn here and you will find it.|
|Handsome sitting area in Nellysford Cider Barn.|
|Looking down at Rockfish Creek.|
|Overlooking the vines at Veritas.|
|Happy wine samplers.|
Not long enough was how I felt leaving Wintergreen. I wanted to return to the Copper Mine Bistro to try the boneless short ribs, a specialty they were out of the night we dined, and to sample a few more of their excellent wines. There had been no time for trying out a hiking path, diving into the aquatic center, stopping at more of the overviews or finding out where Muhammed Ali's property had been.
B and B SpecialSpeaking of cool, consider this Wintergreen Fall deal.
• Breakfast per night of stay at The Copper Mine Bistro
• Unlimited access to the Aquatics & Fitness Center
• Rates begin at $74 per person, per night
The offer is valid through Nov. 23, 2016 (restrictions apply; rates vary depending on dates of stay).
Wintergreen Resort accommodations options include 230 villa-style condominiums and rental homes, from studio suites to nine-bedroom homes, each offering a fully equipped kitchen, and comfortable living area, and most come with fireplaces and a balcony, or deck.
Now available to reserve, the Wintergreen Bed & Breakfast package includes:
For more information call (888) 329-5828 or visit www.wintergreenresort.com.
September - Jonagold, Empire, Golden and Red Delicious.
October - Black Twig, Fuji, Granny Smith and Winesap
November - Pink Lady.
Have your First Round on the House
Available October 1 through December 31, 2016 the golf and cottage package includes
• Complimentary round of golf on day of arrival (after noon EDT)
• Complimentary round of drinks (one per person) following each day’s round of golf
• Choice of cottage for one to three nights
• Breakfast daily
• Same course, same day unlimited golf on Oconee, Great Waters, National and Landing ($50 signature course charge for play on the Great Waters and Oconee course is applied to the first round of the day)
• Pricing from $249 per person, per night (minimum two people per cottage).
With 19,000 acres and 374 miles of shoreline, Lake Oconee is Georgia's second largest lake, providing some of the state's best fishing, along with swimming, boating, water skiing, camping, picnicking, and water skiing. Other amenities include four full-service marinas and an award-winning tennis center.
Affordable IndiaWorld Spree’s 12-day Incredible India tour starts as low as $1,399 in December and April, and that includes round-trip fare on Air China from San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York (Houston is $100 more), all transportation in India, 5-star hotels, daily international buffet breakfasts, six other meals, sightseeing tours, entrance fees, baggage handling and English-speaking tour guides. Non-stop flights on Air India are available from New York, Chicago and San Francisco for an additional fee.
Those who fly Air China via Beijing can take advantage of China’s new 72-hour visa-free transit program and stopover in Beijing on the way home for 3 days/2 nights for only $200. There are also extensions to Amritsar (the Sikh Golden Temple) and Nepal.
All prices are per person, double occupancy, and are subject to availability. There is no additional charge for credit cards. For additional information, visit www.worldspree.com or call toll-free 1-866-652-5656.
|Casa de Suenos|
St. Augustine Midweek SpecialStay for two nights, Sunday through Thursday, at www.StFrancisInn.com or www.Casadesuenos.com now until September 29, 2016, and enjoy dinner and a cruise a no additional cost.
• a 2-hour sail in Matanzas Bay aboard the tall ship Schooner Freedom
• a $30 gift certificate to Meehan's Irish Pub and Seafood House
• value $120 per couple
Fine print: Offer must be mentioned at time of booking, based on double occupancy. Not available during holiday periods and may not be combined with other offers or discounts.
|Qamea Resort and Spa Fiji|
Stuff of Dreams"Dive in Paradise" at 17-room Qamea Resort and Spa Fiji, named by CNN as one of the world's top luxury dive resorts.
The "Paradise" package includes
• seven nights of accommodations in an oceanfront bure
• 10 tanks of diving
• Unlimited shore diving
• a 30-minute massage at the Jungle Spa per guest
• round trip van and boat transfers from Taveuni Airport to Qamea
• all meals including full American breakfast, two-course lunch and three-course dinner and afternoon tea and coffee
• daily housekeeping, turn-down service, a hosted wine tasting and nightly entertainment
• water sports including sea canoeing, kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, swimming and scheduled snorkeling trips with gear
• Fijian cooking demonstration, village visit, Sunday church service, Lair (crab hunt), a Kava ceremony and meke (Fijian dancing and storytelling).
Package price is $2,450 per person, space available, exclusive of taxes and based on twin share/double occupancy and is non-transferable, non-refundable. Must be booked by October 2016 for travel through March 31, 2017.
Fiji can be reached by nightly 10-hour non-stop flights out of Los Angeles (LAX) to Nadi airport. Qamea Island is reached by an hour-log flight from Nadi to Taveuni followed by a short scenic private transfer for a 10-minute boat ride to the island and van to the resort.